Tuesday, November 18, 2008

On the outskirts, peeking in

This blog is a place for me to process the adventure and challenge that is raising my son, whom I will call Blink here.

Blink is 7 years old (nearing 7 and a half, he'll be quick to add.) He brings me so much joy, and he brings me to my knees it is so hard to be his mother sometimes.

It's been a year and a half since he was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome (and shortly thereafter, Tourette's Syndrome). And before that we had the more vague "sensory processing differences," "motor incoordination," and "gross motor delay" -- collectively known as whatever else might be making life so difficult for him and everyone around him.

I can remember the feeling of being on the precipice, looking over at this whole new universe...wondering if that's where we belong. I remember hoping that everything would fall into place once I had his diagnosis in hand. That it was simply a matter of putting the right supports in place and then life would go back to being manageable. And now I look back at that wish and laugh. Oh, if only it were that simple. Life doesn't stand still, of course. Just when I think I've got it semi-figured out, everything changes and we're back to square one. I hold my breath when things are going well and I beat my head against the wall and somehow find the strength to pick myself up again when things are not going well.

Expect a bit of both herein....

1 comment:

Zhenya said...

**Blink** rocks my socks, just so you know.

Oh, this undoubtedly won't surprise you, but when I was little my parents called me *Bink*

Coincidence??? I think not!