Saturday, October 9, 2010

Fascinating Conversations with Blink, Episode 2,344

Yesterday, Blink and I sat in the unseasonably hot sunshine, soaking it in, since we had a few moments to while away before his therapy appointment began.  Blink began discussing genes and autism and the possibility that someday parents might be able to, in his words, "stop severe autism" before a child was even born. "How do you feel about that?" I asked. "I think it's pretty cool," replied.  So I went a step further. "Blink, if you could choose, would you choose to have Asperger's Syndrome?"

He didn't miss a beat.

"No. If a UFO could come and suck up all of the autism in me, I would still like everything I like. But life would be a lot easier. Hey, wouldn't it be cool if a UFO came and did that?  I wish it could come and take away the autism and the ADHD. Wouldn't that be crazy?"

I found this absolutely fascinating. And a little bit unexpected. I realized by his quick response that he has thought about this before. He knew where he stood on the issue.

I wonder how his feelings will change (or not) as he grows older.

No comments: